ATLAS College & Career Readiness Symposium
Advancing Tomorrow’s Leaders in STEM (ATLAS) is a college and career readiness symposium that provides a space for students typically underrepresented in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to connect with business leaders, colleges, government, and potential employers.
Since 2013 MdBio has hosted seven ATLAS events, engaging over 1,100 participants in meaningful dialogues about STEM career options and the educational pathways required to reach those career goals.
ATLAS plays an important role in increasing awareness of STEM to promote rewarding and high paying jobs within Maryland and the mid-Atlantic region. ATLAS is addressing a critical business need in Maryland, which requires a strong pipeline of skilled STEM workers to power the state’s growing science and technology business.
The MdBio Foundation is grateful to the sponsors and partners that have made the ATLAS program a success.
Deepen your Impact
Each ATLAS event offers meaningful opportunities for businesses, professionals, and volunteers to engage with the ATLAS audience as well supporters from local, state, and national companies. Click the button below to learn more about how you and/or your organization can get involved with the ATLAS program.
Who attends ATLAS?
The ATLAS event is geared towards high school students who either have an interest in STEM or want to learn more about this profitable and rewarding career path. The fast-paced and fun event is structured to allow students to:
- Meet and network with STEM professionals
- Learn about college and education advancement opportunities
- Find paid and unpaid internships + scholarships
- Win raffle prizes
- Enjoy free lunch and snacks
- Provide a parent/Guardian information session to learn about financial aid, colleges, potential careers for your students and more!
% Minority Students
% Female Students
Number of Participants
Students know more about STEM career options
Students feel confident talking to STEM professionals
Would attend another event
- May 2017 | University of the District of Columbia, Washington, DC
- November 2016 | University of Maryland BioPark, Baltimore, MD
- November 2015 | Prince George’s Community College, Largo, MD
- May 2015 | The Universities at Shady Grove, Rockville, MD
- April 2015 | University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, MD
- November 2014 | University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- May 2014 | University of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
- November 2013 | Johns Hopkins University, Rockville, MD
Past Keynote Speakers
- Rushern L. Baker III, Prince George’s County Executive
- U.S. Congressman John Delaney
- U.S. Congresswoman Donna F. Edwards
- Aprille Ericsson, NASA
- Stephanie C. Hill, Lockheed Martin
- Bahija Jallal, MedImmune/AstraZeneca
- William “Brit” Kirwan, University System of Maryland
- Ike Leggett, Montgomery County Executive
- Wallace D. Loh, University of Maryland
- Maria Martinez, Respira Inc.
- Timothy B. Warner, Montgomery Co Public Schools
- Vennard Wright, Prince George’s County
- S. Congressman Chris Van Hollen
- Eileen Whelan, WJLA7& News Channel 8
- Justin Rice, NASA